Water Gardening in North Alabama   Complete Pond Water Change Out      Home       

Monday, January 3, 2011

Meyer Lemon From Seed

Upon eating our homegrown Meyer Lemons from the trees we purchased from Bennett Nurseries, we saved the seeds and intend on planting them. Being raised around a family of gardeners I have been taught that the best way to germinate a dried seed is to cut, file, or sand a spot on the exterior of the seed in an effort to assist permeation of water through the seed. Germination may take up to a few weeks. I will start the seed in small starter pots with potting soil and place it about 12" below an under-cabinet florescent light (indoors). Note: I will note the progress. I know I must be patient, as I understand, as with most fruit trees, it will be up to five or six years before they will bear fruit. I have read that many people plant the seed immediately after being harvested from the fruit to keep the seed moist. Consider this an experiment with dry seed.

Meyer Lemon Seeds


Nick Lemon Seed
Add Lemon Seed to small planter



Update: Sad to report the seed never produced. However, it is now May 19, 2011, and the Meyer Lemon is in full bloom. My fingers are crossed in hopes we will again have some of these wonderful lemons again next winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment